EVERYTHING IS MOVEMENT
inner & outer life//
Award-winning theatre director, master teacher, and writer. Working throughout Canada, Europe, and the United States for over thirty years.
Artistic Director: Yat-Bentley Centre for Performance (Saskatchewan & California)
THERE ARE NO STRAIGHT LINES IN ACTING
untying the knots//
Accomplished theatre director of over one hundred professional productions. Founder and producer of several festivals. Developed and championed some of the finest actors, playwrights across North America.
(left: burning vision at the grec festival, spain)
THE POWER OF SURRENDER
action & release//
Instructs actors, directors, dancers, writers, via conservatory training, group classes, one-on-ones. Taught university courses; now heads curriculum at Yat-Bentley Centre for Performance and leads workshops internationally.
Training: Yat Malmgren (Drama Centre, London)
Sanford Meisner (Neighborhood Playhouse, NYC)
Approach: Movement Psychology & Character Transformation, from work of Malmgren and Laban.
ACTING IS NOT JUST EMOTION
discovering the unknown//
Published author, playwright, and lyricist. Short stories printed in over a dozen magazines. Plays produced throughout North America.
"The best moments here are as good as writing gets."
- from Globe and Mail review of Blind Man's Drum
Be sure to look for Tom's new novel - The Boy Who Was Saved By Jazz ... coming out next year.
WHAT'S UP FOR TOM
Tom and Pamela Hollings are still guiding the YBC ship and its wonderful teaching crew to new ports nationally and internationally. First docking - One week a month residency in LA starting in September.
Tom is putting the final touches on his new novel, THE BOY WHO WAS SAVED BY JAZZ, which has been picked up for publication by NeWest Press in Canada.
Tom continues his work as director and dramaturg with creator and actress Heidi Carlson on The Peacoat, after staging the play at La Mama Theatre in New York in March. Next Up - L.A.
(Picture: TV PILOT Waking Up- Shot in LA)
4. Tom is in the second year of development with east and west coast theatre artists on the MEDEA PROJECT, having co-led and directed the first stage of exploration while in residence at Shakespeare and Company last summer.
5. Tom is also working with Miranda Bentley, YBC artist and daughter on THE THERAPIST, a made for TV series about a therapist who needs therapy badly.
6. Back from directing Alicia’s Dattner’s WAKING UP pilot for her series in LA in March, he is continuing to work on the editing of the film and moving ahead with the series.
7. And finally, Tom’s still moving ahead with acting in Catherine Bank’s wonderful award winning play, IT IS SOLVED BY WALKING.
MEANWHILE, he’s doing a lot of meditating to keep his head on straight and not burn out. Wish him LUCK.